blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Monday, April 8, 2013

Mexican Corn Soup


I feel so blessed to belong to a family of such amazing cooks. I can still see my grandmother in the kitchen whipping up incredible meals and creating recipes that have been handed down for generations. A few of her sought after recipes include dolmades and mince meat pie. Plates were always licked clean when grandma Jean was cooking a family meal. And just like her mom, my mother inherited her skills of creating meals that  leave you eating more than you should and begging for the recipe.

I am most thankful that at an early age when I showed an interest in cooking and baking that my mother indulged my novice efforts and with patience and love taught me the joys and fulfillment of cooking. Hopefully it is a love that I can share with and pass down to my children.
My mother is one of three sisters and they all have a love of food and cooking. So this recipe I share is from my Aunt. She was sweet enough to share it and it is a recipe I turn to every single winter. It has an incredible flavor and is so delicious. It's a loved family recipe and I know it can become one of yours as well. 

Mexican Corn Soup

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2-2 pounds frozen corn
1 teaspoon dried oregano
(2) 4 ounce cans of Ortega chili's
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh cut tomatoes
1 cup jack cheese
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
tortilla chips

Directions:
Place chicken breasts in large pot and cover with water around two inches above chicken.Bring to a slow rolling boil then reduce heat to a simmer and boil for 1 hour. Once chicken is cooked remove from pan and let cool before shredding. Meanwhile place half of your corn along with 2-3 cups of your broth into a blender and blend until just smooth. Add oregano, chili's and chopped garlic into pot with remaining broth, let cook for a few minutes. Add the pureed corn mixture and let the soup cook an additional 5-7 minutes. Add shredded chicken, milk, cheese, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and tomatoes. Garnish each individual serving with additional cilantro and tortilla chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips