blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mexican Lime Soup

Recently I saw a recipe for a Williams-Sonoma soup on Pinterest...I was intrigued. Firstly because I had no idea Williams-Sonoma was famous for a soup and secondly because I love love love using lime in soups. I definitely had to make this!  For my recipe I added a bit more chicken...I mean come on who ever complains about having a piece of chicken with every bite of soup! I rest my case. I also added some brown rice, another favorite of mine in soup. And lastly I used cotija cheese to crumble atop. I love its crazy salty flavor!

Mexican Lime Soup
Ingredients:
4  limes
3 bone-in, skin on chicken breast halves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 Tbl olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red onion, minced
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
2 cups brown rice
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 avocado
2 oz cotija cheese, crumbled

Directions:
Cook 2 cups brown rice according to package instructions and set aside. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add seasoned chicken breasts, skin side down. Cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno and saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, water, juice of 3 limes, oregano and chicken breasts. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 40 minutes. Transfer chicken to a carving board and let cool. Remove skin and bones and shred into bite size pieces. Add chicken back to soup. Taste soup to adjust for seasoning. 

When ready to serve soup, place spoonfuls of rice in bottom of bowl and ladle soup over. Sprinkle with slices of avocado and crumbled cotija cheese. Cut remaining lime into wedges and serve with soup.Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips