blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Broccoli & Brussel Sprout Salad with Mandarines, Raisins, Avocado and Sun Flower Seeds


You could say that growing up my family was vegetarian...almost.  We did eat meat and fish but very very sparingly. Consequently, in a wonderful way, I was exposed to a lot of different and incredible fruit and vegetables. I can remember my mother serving amazing salads and vegetable casseroles. In fact when asked what my favorite meal was as a young girl, I always said "My mothers eggplant casserole". You can imagine this taking more than a few people by surprise to hear that a preteens favorite meal to eat was eggplant. But it was true.

I used to marvel at how many different salad recipes my mother could come up with and how each one tasted so unique and delicious. So this is an homage to my mothers salads. I have taken a few of her combos and combined them with a few of mine.

Broccoli & Brussels Spout Salad with Mandarines, Raisins, Avocado and Sunflower Seeds

Ingredients:
1-1 1/2 large broccoli heads, cut into very small pieces
1 pound brussels sprouts
1 small can mandarine oranges
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins
1 avocado, chopped

Directions:
Start by cutting your broccoli and brussels sprouts into very small pieces. At this point feel free to use a mandolin to slice your brussels sprouts. Combine in a bowl.

Slice your avocado into pieces and add to bowl, along with sunflower seeds, raisins and drained mandarines.

Dress with salad dressing and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips