blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pomegranate Vinaigrette


I have really great memories of picking pomegranates with my family when I was just a little girl. We lived in the country and were surrounded by dairies, corn fields and fruit orchards. One wintery tradition we had was to set off over the creek in our back yard into a pomegranate orchard and load our pockets and maybe even a bucket with these little rubies. And now that I think of it, we may or may not have been stealing pomegranates. But I was just a little girl...I cant be blamed...right?!! For the sake of my fond childhood memory I am going to assume that my parents probably had an agreement with the neighbors to barter fruit or something of that nature :)

Moving on...my sister works at a garden now where there are a couple of pomegranate trees and I was lucky enough to be a recipient of some of her pomegranates. Ben and I could not eat them fast enough, so in order to use them up before they went bad I decided to make a pomegranate dressing which turns out to be a lovely change from my usual balsamic or orange based dressings!

Pomegranate Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons pomegranate juice
4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions:
You are more than welcome to use pomegranate juice if you have any, but I opted to put my surplus of fresh pomegranates to use and juice them myself.

I started by cutting my pomegranate into small chunks and placing into a food processor. 

I blended until  I had a thick pulpy substance.

Then I strained my pulp and reserved the liquid for my dressing.

Once I had my pomegranate juice I combined it with my olive oil, honey, vinegar and salt and pepper. Be sure to mix well until the honey and salt are dissolved. Shake well before dressing your salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips