blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

 

Oh I love me some good pesto! I love it so much I could probably eat it as a side dish :) So when my brother in law stopped by the house with a bag full, a full bag full, of basil leaves from his garden, my heart went soaring!! Obviously I was going to make pesto. Well, it didn't work out quite like that. Let me explain. About this time I had noticed that our cupboards and our freezer were filled to max capacity. Tons and tons of ingredients bought with good intention and then never realized. So my goal for the month was to try my hardest to use the ingredients in the cupboards and freezer to free up some space....so that I could start the cycle all over again! :) That being said I noticed that I had a package of pumpkin seeds that I'm sure I was going to use for some crazy awesome recipe but instead became forgotten and landed on the dusty shelf along with the powdered wasabi and can of sardines. 
So with pesto in the back of my mind and the vision of the bag of pumpkin seeds in the forefront, a crazy scenario came about! What if the pesto and the pumpkin seeds got married but the pumpkin seeds cheated on the basil with parsley and voila they had a love child.....pumpkin seed pesto. Yup, that's what happened in this story. And I'm glad it did cause the ending tasted sooooo good! And for that bag full of basil, well its still sitting in the bag in the refrigerator recovering.

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

Ingredients:
2 cups pumpkin seeds
8-10 Tbl olive oil
salt and pepepr to taste
3/4 cup water
2 Tbl lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Combine seed in a food processor with water, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and cheese. Pulse slowly adding the olive oil until mixture forms a course paste. Taste for salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to use.
*If you cannot find pumpkin seeds at your local grocery store you can always crack open your Halloween pumpkins and roast cleaned and oiled pumpkin seeds in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Untitled_zpsf419afba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips